How does capacity building work?
What are the challenges in assisting states with weaker capacities or with enormous tasks in protecting the oceans?
This book summarizes the research of the first SafeSeas project on capacity building.
Articles on Capacity Building
- Bueger, C. Edmunds, T. and McCabe, R. ‘Into the Sea: Capacity Building Innovations and the Maritime Security Challenge‘, Third World Quarterly 41(2): 228-246 (2020).
- Bueger, C. Maritime Security and the Capacity Building Challenge: Introducing the SafeSeas Best Practice Toolkit. Seychelles Research Journal 1(2): 149–56, 2019.
- Edmunds, T. and Juncos, A.E. ‘Constructing the Capable State: Contested Discourses and Practices in EU Capacity Building‘, Cooperation and Conflict, in press, forthcoming 2019.
- Edmunds, T, Juncos, A.E. and Algar-Faria, G. ‘EU Local Capacity Building: Complexity, Ownership and Agency‘, Global Affairs, 4:2 (2018).
- Edmunds, T. Maritime Capacity Building in the Horn of Africa: States of Somalia, EU-CIVCAP Working Paper No. 1 (May 2017).
- Edmunds, Tim. 2014. Maritime Security Sector Reform. Lessons from the Mainstream. Working Paper of the Lessons Learned Consortium of the Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia. Cardiff: Cardiff University.
- Bueger, Christian. 2014. Counter-Piracy and Maritime Capacity Building: Fallacies of a Debate, Working Paper of the Lessons Learned Consortium of the Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia. Cardiff: Cardiff University.
- Bueger, Christian. 2012. Drops in the Bucket: A Review of Onshore Responses to Somali Piracy, WMU Journal of Maritime Affairs 15(1) Special Issue on ‘Piracy at Sea’, edited by Sam P. Menefee and Max Meija, 15-31, 2012.
- Bueger, C. Edmunds, T. and Ryan, B. ‘Maritime Security: The Uncharted Politics of the Global Sea‘ International Affairs, 95: 5 (2019).
- Bueger, Christian and Anthony Bergin. 2018. Uniting nations: developing maritime domain awareness for the ‘Blue Pacific’, The Strategist, 8 May 2018.
- Bueger, Christian and Anders Wivel. 2018. How Do Small Island States Maximize Influence? Creole Diplomacy and the Smart State Foreign Policy of the Seychelles, Journal of the Indian Ocean Region, 14(2): 170-188 (2018).
- Bueger, Christian. 2018. “We are all islanders now” – Michel’s Blue Economy kaleidoscope and the missing link to maritime security. Journal of the Indian Ocean Region 14(1): 117-119, 2018.
- Bueger, Christian. 2017. Effective Maritime Domain Awareness in the Western Indian Ocean. Policy Brief 104, Institute for Security Studies: Pretoria. [open access]
- Bueger, Christian & Tim Edmunds. 2017. Beyond Seablindness. A new agenda for maritime security studies, International Affairs93(6): 1293–1311, doi: 10.1093/ia/iix174 [open access].
- Edmunds, T. Evaluating International Efforts on Local Capacity Building, EU-CIVCAP Policy Paper 6.1 (May 2017).
- Bueger, Christian & Jan Stockbruegger. 2016. Pirates, Drugs and Navies. Why the Western Indian Ocean needs a new security architecture, RUSI Journal 161(5): 46-52, doi: 10.1080/03071847.2016.1253375, [open access].
- Bueger, Christian. 2015. What is Maritime Security?, Marine Policy 53, 159-164, doi: 10.1016/j.marpol.2014.12.005, [open access]